Where we stand: Smokeless tobacco
Truth Initiative’s mission is to achieve a culture where all youth and young adults reject tobacco. Consistent with Truth Initiative’s vision of a future where tobacco is a thing of the past, we support the following policies with regard to smokeless tobacco:
- Given their well-documented appeal to youth, all flavors, including menthol, should be eliminated from smokeless tobacco products.
- The marketing of all smokeless tobacco products should be restricted so that it does not target or appeal to youth.
- Sales of all smokeless tobacco products should be limited to those 21 or older.
- Internet and other non-face-to-face sales of smokeless tobacco should be prohibited.
- All smokeless use should be subject to tobacco-free laws and requirements.
- Truth Initiative actively supports tobacco-free college campuses and tobacco-free sports venues.
- We support taxation proportional to the harms of each type of tobacco product to discourage use of the most harmful products. Combusted tobacco products should be taxed at the highest levels, and the least harmful, non-combusted tobacco products should be taxed at lower levels.