Tobacco use in Florida 2018
Cigarette use: Florida*
- In 2016, 15.5 percent of adults smoked. Nationally, the rate was 17.1 percent.¹
- In 2017, 5.7 percent of high school students smoked on at least one day in the past 30 days. Nationally, the rate was 8.8 percent.²
Other tobacco product use: Florida
- In 2015, 1.8 percent of adults used e-cigarettes, 0.8 percent used smokeless tobacco and 2.1 percent smoked cigars.³
- In 2017, 15.7 percent of high school students used e-cigarettes, 2.8 percent use smokeless tobacco and 4.8 percent smoked cigars on at least one day in the past 30 days.⁴
Economics of tobacco use and tobacco control
- Florida received $1.586 billion (estimated) in tobacco settlement payments and taxes in fiscal year 2018.⁵
- Of this, the state allocated $68.6 million in state funds to tobacco prevention in fiscal year 2018, just 35.3 percent of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s annual spending target.⁵
- Smoking-related health care costs: $8.64 billion per year⁵
- Smoking-related losses in productivity: $8.32 billion per year⁶
Florida tobacco laws
- Florida is ranked 30th in the U.S. for its cigarette tax of $1.339 per pack (enacted July 2009), compared to the national average of $1.73. (Connecticut and New York have the highest tax at $4.35 and Missouri has the lowest at 17 cents.)⁷ ⁸ ⁹
- All other tobacco products, except cigars, are taxed 85 percent of the manufacturer’s list price.⁷ ⁸
Clean indoor air ordinances
- Smoking is prohibited in all government workplaces, private workplaces, schools, childcare facilities, restaurants, bars (except in those that make 10 percent or less of their sales from food), casinos/gaming establishments (tribal establishments exempt), retail stores and recreational/cultural facilities.
Youth access laws
- The minimum age of sale for tobacco products is 18. Penalties exist for minors and merchants who violate this law.⁷ ⁸
- Products must be under supervision of sales clerk(s) or in sight of the sales clerk.⁷ ⁸
- Establishments are required to post signs stating that sales to minors are prohibited.⁷ ⁸
- The sale of nicotine dispensing devices, including e-cigarettes, to minors is prohibited.⁷ ⁸
Local tobacco laws
- The city of St. Petersburg prohibits the use of smokeless tobacco products at the city’s sports venues, including Tropicana Field.¹⁰
Quitting statistics and benefits
- The CDC estimates 54.1 percent of daily adult smokers in Florida quit smoking for one or more days in 2016.¹¹
- In 2014, the Affordable Care Act required that Medicaid programs cover all quit medications.⁸**
- Florida’s quit line invests $5.94 per smoker, compared to the national average of $2.10.⁸
- Florida does not have a private insurance mandate provision for quitting tobacco.⁸
Notes and references
Updated June 2018
* National and state-level prevalence numbers reflect the most recent data available. This may differ across state fact sheets.
** The seven recommended cessation medications are NRT gum, NRT patch, NRT nasal spray, NRT inhaler, NRT lozenge, Varenicline (Chantix) and Bupropion (Zyban). Fiore MC, et al. Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence: 2008 Update. Clinical Practice Guideline. Rockville, MD: US Department of Health and Human Services. Public Health Service: May 2008.
- CDC, Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2016.
- CDC, Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System, 2017.
- CDC, State-Specific Prevalence of Tobacco Product Use Among Adults - United States, 2014-2015, MMWR.
- Florida Youth Tobacco Survey, 2017.
- Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, Broken Promises to Our Children: a State-by-State Look at the 1998 State Tobacco Settlement 19 Years Later FY2018, 2017.
- Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, Toll of Tobacco in the United States, 2018.
- American Lung Association, SLATI State Reports, 2017.
- American Lung Association, State of Tobacco Control, 2018.
- Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, State Cigarette Excise Tax Rates & Rankings, 2018.
- Knock Tobacco Out of the Park. https://tobaccofreebaseball.org/.
- CDC, Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, State Tobacco Activities Tracking and Evaluation System, 2016.